A little boy and his momma | Cleveland Family Photographer Tess Smith Photography

Friday, September 30, 2011

The A Family | Answering questions on post-processing | Cleveland Area Family Photographer

I'm often asked how I pick the images I choose to edit. I don't sit down with my clients and let them go over their images. Mainly because I love the whole surprise experience in giving them a disc of images completely edited and ready for viewing. And to be honest, I edit nearly all of the editable shots. I don't shoot with reckless abandon. I look through my lens and wait for what I want to document. I goof off and act silly to get a great smile from your kids or let them stay close and snuggle their momma if they need to. If I notice that a child is shy and reserved I allow them to be shy and reserved. It's my belief that the image should reflect who a person is.  Listed below each of the following images is why I chose to keep them. Why I think they're great and why I'd hope that the family would love them, too. I obviously take photo's of the entire family together and often times I don't share a full family photo in my blog posts or on facebook. I usually like to save that for the family to view for the first time on their own. It's a special photo that means a lot more to them then it does to the rest of the world. So it's theirs.

The family below is awesome. Megan and I met when my youngest was just a few months old. I was desperately scouring the Cleveland area for moms that had anything in common with me. She was a winner. She's calm, easy going, determined, funny, surprising, down right shocking, goal oriented, passionate,  loving, enjoys a good beer, talented and loves her kids with her whole being. She amazed me with the ease in which she cared for her 3 (at the time) kids. She was witty and sharp and I loved it. We've had a few play dates here and there, grabbed a drink together, and chatted on the phone. She answered my new mom questions with comfort.  Our lives are busy and we don't get together anywhere near as often as we should. I miss her. But she has 5 (incredibly stunning) children and I have 3 (equally stunning) babes, myself.
Here you go, Meg. A peek into our session. Your kids are great. They're all 100% original and are so lucky to have you as their momma.



 I love that each child has their own unique way of comforting themselves.

 I love curious baby faces.

 I love the way a mom looks at her child. With so much joy they could literally burst.

 This is just a great shot.

 I love her little look of uncertainty. I love mom's ability to assure her that it will be alright.


I love that she's still a bit unsure.

 I love the confidence she gained after I showed her just how cute she looked.

 I love his big deep baby blues.

 I love his baby drool. The hair curls.

 I love sweet baby Victor's hand perched on his big brother's arm, his little baby bottom teeth, his chins, his wispy hair. I love it all.
 I love the sweet little laughs coming from Reese. She's hilarious. And spunky.

 I love that giant smile coming from Cos.

I love her little missing tooth and sassy hair.

2 comments: